There is nothing that raises the spirits on a cold Winter day, like a big batch of cookies fresh out of the oven. These little morsels are super easy to make and feature my Grounding Ritual Cacao. This blend is formulated with just the right amount of the warming spices cinnamon, ginger and turmeric. I hope you enjoy making (and eating!) them as much as I do. Lou x
1 cup spelt flour
1/3 cup Grounding Ritual Cacao Blend
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup (115g) softened unsalted butter
1/2 cup (100g) coconut sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons milk (can be dairy or non-dairy)
½ cup dark chocolate chips, plus a few more for putting on top
Himalayan salt for sprinkling
- Sift and mix the flour, cocoa powders, baking soda and salt together until combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a hand-held or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter for 1 minute on medium speed until completely smooth and creamy. Add the coconut sugar and beat on medium high speed until fluff. Beat in egg and vanilla on high speed. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- On low speed, slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined. The cookie dough will be thick but that’s ok. Switch to high speed and beat in the milk, then the chocolate chips. The cookie dough will be sticky. Put cookie dough in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 3 hours. Chilling is a must for this cookie dough.
- Remove cookie dough from the refrigerator and allow to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes. This makes the cookie dough easier to scoop and roll.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line two large baking sheets with baking paper. Set aside.
- Scoop and roll balls of dough, about 2 tablespoons of dough each, into balls. Place on the baking sheets and sprinkle with a little sea salt and extra choc chips.
- Bake the cookies for around 10 minutes. My oven has hot spots and yours may too - so be sure to rotate the pan once during bake time. The baked cookies will look extremely soft in the middle when you remove them from the oven. Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the tray.