If you are looking for a way to add that little bit "extra" to your Ritual Cacao, try creating these divine marshmallows. They are enhanced with Althaea officinalis, also known as Marshmallow root. Yes, marshmallows were originally made with this herb so let's stay authentic (says the herbalist in me). Marshmallow root is a beautiful soothing anti-inflammatory herb. Pop one of these delish marshmallows on top of your warmed up Ritual Cacao before enjoying, for some added herbal goodness.
- 1 tablespoon of marshmallow root powder
- 1 cup warm filtered water
- ¼ cup grass-fed gelatin powder
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup of maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 capsules probiotics (optional)
1. Line a 9x13 inch baking dish with parchment paper, leaving some paper up and over the sides of the dish. You might like to sprinkle some Ritual cacao on the baking paper at this stage, as the marshmallow will pour into this.
2. Combine 1 cup of boiled water with one tablespoon of marshmallow root powder, cover and set aside for ten minutes. Let those ingredients get all warm and cosy with one another. Whilst waiting, why not go outside and get some warm sun on your skin? Or maybe do some stretching in preparation for this next bit! Ha!
3. After ten minutes, stir mixture well and strain. Make sure that the remaining strained liquid makes a whole cup.
4. Pour half cup of the warm prepared marshmallow root liquid into a bowl and add the gelatin. Leave a few minutes for the gelatin to 'bloom'. Isn't this a lovely term for it? Whisk gently to incorporate and set aside.
5. Pour the other half cup of warm marshmallow root decoction into a small saucepan with the honey and maple syrup. Whisk gently to combine.
Slowly bring the water and honey/maple mixture to a boil while stirring. If you have a kitchen thermometer, warm the mixture to 116°C, otherwise known as the soft ball stage. (If you don't have a kitchen thermometer, keep it boiling and stirring constantly for 8 minutes). Please be careful with this step while working with the hot liquid.
6. Use a mixer to combine the water/gelatin mix at medium speed. Then continue to whisk while slowly pouring the honey/maple syrup/water mixture into the mixing bowl.
7. When you have added in the honey/maple syrup/water mix, turn the mixer to high and whisk for another 10-15 minutes or until it forms a stiff cream like the consistency of marshmallow. It should form soft peaks.
8. At this stage, add the vanilla (and probiotics if you are using them) and any other flavour ingredients for the last few minutes of mixing. See below for some ideas.
9. When marshmallow mixture is whipped, pour into the lined dish and smooth evenly. I like to sprinkle some of my favourite Ritual Cacao on top at this stage. Let the mixture chill out for around 5 hours (overnight is even better). Leave at room temperature, not in the fridge.
10. Flip onto a cutting board and cut with a well-oiled knife. I like cutting small dainty marshmallows to pop in my Ritual Cacao.
11. Store these little sweet morsels at room temperature (not in the fridge) and enjoy within a few days.
- Add a tablespoon of Rose Water (a match made in heaven with the Balancing Ritual Cacao)
- Roll the marshmallow in a combination of pink rose petal powder and organic icing sugar for a very pretty result